Get creative and submit a poem inspired by a museum object or artwork and the theme ‘change’.
How to enter
- Choose an object or artwork that you love! It could be a work that makes you feel something or maybe you’re excited by the colour, texture, form, or content of the work. Pick anything that draws you to it. Start here with our Resources Page.
- Develop a poem inspired by the object and relating to the theme ‘change’. Think about the different kinds of poetry: It could be a haiku, a limerick, free verse (no rules!), spoken word/slam, a sonnet, anything!
- Submit your poem & object image from 1-31 May 2020 on our Submissions Page.
Who can participate?
Poetry Takeover is open to anyone in South Australia in years 4-11.
What to submit
- Your poem: written (up to 25 lines) or recorded audio/video (up to 3 minutes).
- An image of your chosen object. Ensure you acknowledge the source of your object image. If you include music in audio/video entries, please ensure it is copyright-free.
Poetry Takeover rules
- Entries are your own work.
- One entry per person.
- Entries open on Friday 1 May and close 5 pm Sunday 31 May 2020.
- Be respectful. Poems are not to contain any swear words or any content that is discriminatory toward a particular group of people (e.g. content that is racist, homophobic or sexist).
- Entries are to be submitted through the Poetry Takeover website. Email entries will not be accepted.
- Poems will be displayed on the Poetry Takeover website/Facebook page so please submit a final version.
- Two prizes will be awarded per category: years 4-6, years 7-8 and years 9-11.
- Winners in each category will be awarded a $50 Dymocks voucher.
- Three Community Choice prizes will also be awarded. These will be voted on by site visitors once all entries have been received.
- Entries will be displayed in the Poetry Takeover online gallery and shared on social media.